The IAEA Board of Governors is one of the two policy-making bodies of the IAEA, along with the annual General Conference of IAEA Member States.
The board examines and makes recommendations to the General Conference on the IAEA’s financial statements, program and budget. It considers applications for membership, approves safeguards agreements and the publication of the IAEA’s safety standards, and – with the approval of the General Conference – it appoints the Director General of the IAEA.
The Board generally meets five times per year.
U.S. Statements at the March 2021 Board of Governors meeting:
- Agenda Item 2: Applications for Membership of the Agency
- Agenda Item 3: IAEA Efforts During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Agenda Item 4: Nuclear and Radiation Safety – Nuclear Safety Review 2021
- Agenda Item 5: Strengthening the Agency’s Activities Related to Nuclear Science, Technology, and Applications
- Agenda Item 6: Verification and Monitoring in Iran
- Agenda Item 7(c): Nuclear Verification – Application of Safeguards in the DPRK
- Agenda Item 7(d): Implementation of the NPT Safeguards Agreement in the Syrian Arab Republic
- Agenda Item 7(e): Nuclear Verification – NPT Safeguards Agreement with the Islamic Republic of Iran